Science Kit: Reptiles and Amphibians
The Reptiles and Amphibians (Herpetology) Kit is our new kit designed to explore characteristics and life histories of both reptiles and amphibians and also conservation efforts that are currently taking place for this vulnerable group of animals.
- Reptiles vs. Amphibians – Grade 6-8. Rotate through stations that compare the skin, life cycles, eggs, and examples of amphibians and reptiles
- Extraordinary Ectotherms – Grade 2-6. Use thermometers and look at infrared photographs to find out what it means to be an ectotherm (cold-blooded)
- On the Defensive – Grade 3-5. Look at pictures of awesome defensive mechanisms that amphibians and reptiles employ
- Frog Life Cycle Board Game – Grade 4-6. Play your way through a frog’s life cycle in this interactive board game!
- Find that Frog – Grade 1-6. Use home-made instruments to imitate frog calls in an outdoor hide-and-seek-type listening game
- You: The Frog Biologist! – Grade 6-8. Search for frog ‘egg masses’ hidden around the classroom and use that number to calculate the frog population
- Herpapalooza Xtreme! – Grade 6-8. Identify local amphibian species and their preferred habitats.
- Herptiles in Motion – Grade 9-12. Understand the purpose and mechanics of different types of locomotion used by reptiles and amphibians.
- Snake skin
- Turtle shell
- Frog life cycle stages display
- Picture ID cards of reptiles and amphibians in our area
Books and Videos:
- Life in Cold Blood DVD
- Peterson’s First Field Guide: Reptiles and Amphibians
- The Magic School Bus Gets Cold Feet
- The Frog Alphabet
- Science Nature Guide: Amphibians and Reptiles
- A Look Inside: Reptiles
- First Field Guide: Amphibians
- The Snake Dictionary