Science Kits: Plants of the Rogue Valley
The Plants of the Rogue Valley Kit introduces the diversity of plants found in this region. Activities include plant identification through the use of different dichotomous keys, a plant press activity, and many different specimens of leaves, cones, and tree cookies to investigate.
- Plant Parts (pdf) – Grade 1-4. Explore the structure and function of plants and gain a deeper understanding of the patterns of plants.
- Tree Identification (pdf) – Grade 4-8. Closely analyze trees and study their structures, through tree id cards and dichotomous keys.
- Plant Magic (pdf) – Grade 3-8. Explore the plant adaptations by looking for patterns in flowers, seeds, leaves, and trees.
- Cool Crazy Cones (pdf) – Grade 3-8. Discover the cones commonly found on the forest floors of Oregon and California.
- Likeable Lichens (pdf) – Grade 9-12. Learn about lichen types, habitats, and its environmental benefits.
- Pollinator Partners (pdf) – Grade 2-5. Understand the interdependent relationship between plants and pollinators.
- Nature Journaling (pdf) – Grade 3-8. Engage your creativity, sensory skills, and creative writing skills, while making observations of the natural surroundings.
- Plant Press
- Tree ‘cookies’ (cross-sections)
- Leaf shapes/arrangements display
- Cone Samples
- Lichen Specimens
- Eyewitness Plant DVD
Books and Videos:
- Mac’s Field Guide to Pacific Northwest Trees
- Trees to Know in Oregon
- Pacific Coast Tree Finder
- Pacific Coast Fern Finder
- Binder of Mixed Conifer at high to lower elevations
- Binder of the Oak Savannah
- Common Native Roadside Wildflowers
- Wildflowers of Southern Oregon
- Flowers are Calling
- The Reason for a Flower
- The Lorax
- Northwest Native Conifers poster
- Northwest Broadleaf Plants and Trees