The Plants of the Rogue Valley Kit introduces the diversity of plants found in this region. Activities include plant identification through the use of different dichotomous keys, a plant press activity, and many different specimens of leaves, cones, and tree cookies to investigate.
- Plant Parts (pdf) – Explore the structure and function of plants and gain a deeper understanding of the patterns of plants.
- Tree Identification (pdf) – Closely analyze trees and study their structures, through tree id cards and dichotomous keys.
- Plant Magic (pdf) – Explore the plant adaptations by looking for patterns in flowers, seeds, leaves, and trees.
- Cool Crazy Cones (pdf) – Discover the cones commonly found on the forest floors of Oregon and California.
- Likeable Lichens (pdf) – Learn about lichen types, habitats, and its environmental benefits.
- Pollinator Partners (pdf) – Understand the interdependent relationship between plants and pollinators.
- Nature Journaling (pdf) – Engage your creativity, sensory skills, and creative writing skills, while making observations of the natural surroundings.
- Plant Press
- Tree ‘cookies’ (cross-sections)
- Leaf shapes/arrangements display
- Cone Samples
- Lichen Specimens
- Eyewitness Plant DVD
Books and Videos:
- Mac’s Field Guide to Pacific Northwest Trees
- Trees to Know in Oregon
- Pacific Coast Tree Finder
- Pacific Coast Fern Finder
- Binder of Mixed Conifer at high to lower elevations
- Binder of the Oak Savannah
- Common Native Roadside Wildflowers
- Wildflowers of Southern Oregon
- Flowers are Calling
- The Reason for a Flower
- The Lorax
- Northwest Native Conifers poster
- Northwest Broadleaf Plants and Trees